The national network of phone boxes was introduced in 1921 and as needs and fashions changed, so did their design. The Rotherwick telephone box is a Kiosk No 6, designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 to celebrate King George V's Silver Jubilee. However, following the widespread ownership of phones at home, and subsequently in mobile communications, the once commonplace red boxes have now largely disappeared. Yet, due to the general public’s fondness of the boxes as part of our national heritage, an 'Adopt a Kiosk' scheme was introduced in 2008 to help preserve those that remained, allowing local communities to adopt their box for £1 and assuming responsibility for their upkeep.
The ‘Adopt a Kiosk’ scheme really demonstrated the strength of local communities working together voluntarily to preserve and maintain community assets. Luckily for us, we were able to keep our phone box which is now looked after by the Parish Council.
With help from volunteeres in the community the Kiosk was renovated and with a little adaption transformed into a book exchange catering for all ages.