Lenghtsman SchemeThe term ‘Lengthsman’ dates back to the 1800s, referring to workers who were responsible for keeping a particular length of road neat and tidy.
The scheme, first trialled in 2010 with just 10 parish councils, funds a local ‘Lengthsman’ to carry out straightforward highways maintenance tasks requested by the local parish council and now includes 136 parishes covering more than half of Hampshire.
Rotherwick’s Lengthsman Scheme is within the Newnham cluster and Associate Parish Agreement which runs from the 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019.
The Scheme allows Rotherwick access to 50 labour hours under the Lengthsman Scheme. We also have 13.5 hours unused carried over from 2017/18. So far, this year, we have allocated the following hours to:-
1. Village Chicane tidy together with overgrowth cut back of Hook Road road sign (5 hours)
2. Grass & Bramble cut down of Parish owned land within Chicken Farm (4 hours)
3. Verge Repairs along Wedmans Lane ( [x] hours) - Quotation Awaited
4. Stabilisation of Hudson Copse entrance with railway sleevers & protection posts (14 hours) - Work Pending
5. Village Chicanes weeded, pruned and cobbles & curbs cleared of moss etc. (10 hours) - Diaries Annual Autumn Maintenance tbc
6. Grass & Bramble cut down of Parish Lane within Chicken Farm (4 hours) - Diaries Autumnal Maintenance tbc
7. Potholes along Pumping Station access road ([x] hours) - Quotation Awaited
1. Village Chicane tidy together with shrub planting in Cowfold Lane's chicane (8 hours)
2. Village Signs washed with all obscuring vegetation (7 hours)
3. Rings of Death on all the oak trees along Cowfold Lane (4 hours)
4. Clean roof & struture of the village bush shelter (4 hours)
5. Clear a fallen tree in the ditch along Hook Road (4 hours)
6. Village Chicanes weeded, pruned and cobbles & curbs cleared of moss etc. (10 hours)
1. Lyde Green Bridge Footbridge 16 hours)
2. Strim the ditch opposite The Falcon (4.5 hours)
3. Ditch Clearance in Cowfold Lane alongside Hudson Copse (13 hours)
4. Dragon Teeth installation in The Street (16 hours)
5. Concrete base for bin in Hudson Copse (0.5)